Youth Dress Code
Dancers & Dreamers (2-5yrs):
Classic Combo and Fairy Tale Ballet: Leotard worn with either pink or black tights. Mary Jane tap shoes and pink ballet shoes. Ballet skirts, tutus, and leg warmers are permitted. Hair is to be pulled away from the face in a ponytail or bun. Bun holders and bows are permitted.
Funky Monkey: Fitted active clothing (t-shirt/ tank top and leggings/ shorts) or a unitard. Tights or bike shorts must be worn under all loose fitting shorts. Keep in mind there will be tumbling. Hair is to be pulled away from the face in a ponytail or bun. A leotard and tights are also permitted. No skirts, dresses, or street pants will be allowed. Funky Monkey class will be taken barefoot.
Ballet: Balance Ballet students are required to wear a uniform leotard dependent upon the dancer’s ballet level. Any student enrolled into a level 1-5 ballet class (excludes Dancers and Dreamers classes ages 2-5) must be placed into a level via a ballet level assessment session (see the Balance front desk to schedule an assessment and/or to purchase the ballet uniform leotard). View entire Ballet Class dress code and policies HERE.
Level 1 Grape
Level 2 Royal Blue
Level 3 Black Cherry
Level 4 Navy
Level 5 Black
*Jazz (11 & Under): Solid colored leotard and tights or crop tops and dance shorts. Jazz pants may be worn if they are tight around the knees and ankles. Caramel colored jazz shoes. Hair must be pulled away from the face. No oversized T-shirts, tank tops, camisole tops, athletic shorts, or loose pants are permitted in class beyond warm up.
*Jazz (12+): Solid colored leotard and tights or crop tops and dance shorts. Jazz pants may be worn if they are tight around the knees and ankles. Caramel colored jazz shoes. Warm Ups are encouraged during the conditioning/warm up portion of the class but are not permitted after.
*Tap (11 & Under): Solid colored leotard and tights or crop tops and dance shorts. Jazz pants may be worn if they are tight around the knees and ankles. Black tap shoes. Hair must be pulled away from the face.
*Upper-Level Tap (12+): Solid colored leotard and tights or crop tops and dance shorts. Jazz pants may be worn if they are tight around the knees. Black tap shoes.
Lyrical/Contemporary: Should be barefoot or in a contemporary shoe (socks may be worn on marley floor with instructor approval) Hair must be pulled away from the face. No oversized T-shirts, tank-tops, camisole tops, athletic shorts, or loose pants are permitted in class after the warm up period.
Hip-Hop: Jazz clothes or comfortable street clothes with non-marking tennis shoes.
Acro: Solid colored leotard or tight fitting shirt or tank top and dance shorts. Hair must be pulled away from the face in a secure ponytail. No T-shirts, athletic shorts, or loose pants are permitted in class. NO JEWELRY.
Pilates, Flexibility & Strength: Tight fitting exercise clothes or any solid colored leotard and shorts. Hair must be worn in a low ponytail. A personal pilates/yoga mat is suggested.
Men & Boys: Black canvas split sole ballet shoes, black footed tights or black athletic shorts, and a plain black or white fitted t-shirt or tank (cotton or dri-fit material) tucked into the tights/shorts.
Ballroom Girls: Leotard, Latin skirt above the knees, or dance dress. Hair must be pulled away from the face in a secure ponytail or dance bun. Jazz shoes will be fine for the first month, then Latin shoes will be required. Latin shoes girls ages 7-11 Cuban heel, girls ages 12-13 1.5″ junior heel, girls ages 14+ 2″ IDS heel. The shoe should feel like a glove on a foot. If the child’s foot is wide, please contact the instructor for the further instructions.
Ballroom Boys: Black dance trousers, tight shirt or t-shirt. Jazz shoes will be fine for the first month, then black shoes with a Cuban heel shoes will be required. The shoe should feel like a glove on a foot.
*A NOTE ABOUT CROP TOPS, DANCE SHORTS, and WARM UP ATTIRE:
In order for teachers to appropriately monitor the movement development of a dancer, body conscious clothing is required for most classes. However, it is exceptionally important that a dancer’s attire allow him/her to focus exclusively on movement and not clothing coverage. For this reason, we prefer crop tops only be worn in conjunction with high-waisted dance shorts/pants and dance shorts must be worn with tights underneath. No bra-tops are allowed or any top in which the dancer’s belly button is visible.
We require that students wear warm-up attire and cover up to and from dance class.
- Proper class attire (see Dress Code above)
- Respect for the teacher and fellow student.
- Teachers reserve the right to dismiss any student who disturbs the class at any time.
- BDS is not responsible for stolen or lost property. (Label ALL dancewear and shoes with your child’s name)
- Cell phones are not permitted in the dance rooms unless they are turned off or in airplane mode.
- No food, drinks (other than water in a self-sealing water bottle), or gum is allowed in the studio.
- No hanging, climbing, sitting or leaning on ballet barre(s) and no hanging clothes/bags on the barre(s)
- If you must leave early from class, please inform your instructor before class begins and politely dismiss yourself when needed.
- No talking during class, unless asking the instructor a question or responding to a question the instructor asked.
- Respect your classmates. If you don’t have anything nice to say, don’t say anything at all.
- If you are injured, inform your instructor before class begins. If you must sit out, bring a notebook and pen to take notes throughout the class. If a dancer chooses to sit due to injury, he/she will not be allowed to return to dancing in class until the doctor clears the dancer to rejoin the class (this is to prevent any further injuries).
- Raise your hand to ask questions, and wait to be called on.
- Belongings will be stored off the floor during class, preferably in cubbies when available.
- Parents must pick their child up on time! Instructors are not responsible for watching students who are not picked up on time.
- Dancers will keep a positive attitude toward their work, peers and instructor.
Additional Ballet Class Etiquette can be found here.